The Bose® Lifestyle VS-2 Video Enhancer® is A Must for All Lifestyle Owners

Bose® Lifestyle® Home Entertainment Systems are world renowned for their superior technology, top-quality sound and simplicity. With the introduction of the Bose Lifestyle® VS-2 Video Enhancer , Bose Lifestyle® Systems will also be known as some of the most versatile home theater systems on the market. The VS-2 gives Lifestyle® owners 2 HDMI connections, Automatic Video Upscaling capability and One-Button remote control simplicity.

The addition of the Bose Lifestyle® VS-2 Video Enhancer takes Lifestyle® Home Entertainment Systems into the next generation of High Definition Home Theater. When connected to the VS-2, the Lifestyle® has the ability to control both the Audio and Video inputs rather than just the audio. This feature makes the Lifestyle® act more like a traditional home theater receiver. The VS-2 Video Enhancer works seamlessly with all Lifestyle® DVD home entertainment systems except for Lifestyle® 18, 28 and 35 Series I systems.

HDMI Inputs

Two HDMI inputs have been added to the VS-2 Video Enhancer to give the user the option of connecting a High Definition Cable/Satellite Box, Blu-Ray Disc player or any other component that uses HDMI to your Lifestyle® Home Entertainment System. HDMI gives you high definition video and digital audio all in one cable. HDMI is the future of high definition and will give you the best possible viewing and listening experience.

*If your cable or satellite picture is there some days and gone others, you are probably experiencing DRM (Digital Rights Management) problems. In this case, use Component for the CBL/SAT Input, it will still be upscaled to HDMI through the output.

Automatic Video Upscaling

Another great feature the VS-2 provides is the ability to automatically upscale a video signal to the next highest format or resolution over HDMI. A composite video connection will be upscaled to S-Video format and S-Video is upscaled to component video format. This is also the case with high definition signals, for instance: a 1080i signal will be upgraded to 1080p format over HDMI. This feature allows you to get the full potential from all of your components.

One-Button Simplicity

Since the VS-2 allows your Lifestyle® to manage all video and audio sources together, it only takes the push of a button to get them to work together. If you press the CBL/SAT button on your Lifestyle® Remote you will get audio and video without having to change the input on your TV. This feature makes your home theater experience a lot less complicated.

The Bose VS-2 Video Enhancer allows you to upgrade your Lifestyle® Home Entertainment System for the ultimate high definition experience. Even if you don’t use high definition the one button simplicity and video upscaling are great tools by themselves and will still give you a better overall experience. The VS-2 Video Enhancer is also very easy to install. You simply run the update disc which takes about 5 minutes (don’t eject until the system says update complete), connect to the Lifestyle® Home Entertainment System and make your video connections from your components to the VS-2.

Bose is a company that makes their products last and the VS-2 is a testament to that. With the Lifestyle® VS-2 Video Enhancer connected to your Lifestyle® System, you will be ready for the high definition experience of your choice.

*please note, the HDMI video out only transmits video — a separate audio connection is required.

171 comments on “The Bose® Lifestyle VS-2 Video Enhancer® is A Must for All Lifestyle Owners

1. Can VS2 unit be used with lifestyle 25 Series 2 system?

2. Simon,
    No it can not, sorry.

3. How do I tell if I have a lifestyle 28-I or II? You say the VS-2 will not work on a Lifestyle 28-I.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam,
    You are going to need to get the serial number off the bottom of the Media Center and call Bose Technical Support at 1-800-905-2138. They will be able to tell you what series you have. If you do have a Series II or III and want to purchase the VS-2 here is a link to our VS-2 product page.

5. If I purchase the VS-2 and connect it to the lifestyle 48 III and my Sony XBR4, will I able to watch video via the HD cable box but listen to a separate audio source such as CD or FM? In other words, have the ballgame on with no audio and instead listen to a CD or Radio. And, does connecting the HD cable box to the VS-2 instead of connecting the HD cable box directly to the XBR4 degrade the signal in anyway?

Thanks.

Dave,
    To answer your first question, yes the VS-2 allows you to listen to a separate audio source while watching TV. Under the system menu in the video tab, there is a feature labeled persistent video that you have to enable. When enabled it will allow the screen to stay on when you select an audio source (FM, AM, or CD).

As for your second question, No there will be no signal degradation. The VS-2 actually upscales your picture (through HDMI) to the highest resolution your TV can accept. The VS-2 will make your picture better, not worse. If you are interested in buying the Bose VS-2 Video Enhancer from us, just follow this Link.

7. Thanks. I have a follow up question to your answer. You say the VS-2 will actually upscale the picture through HDMI and that I understand. However, If I connect from my HD cable box directly to the Sony XBR4 via HDMI I’m bypassing a secondary connection though the VS-2. I would think the XBR4 does a pretty good job upscaling on it’s own. My question is does passing though multiple connections or devices degrade the signal? Thank you.

Dave,
    No, your signal will not be degraded. If the VS-2 upscales the picture to the highest it can possibly get and then sends it to your Sony XBR4, there is no more upscaling necessary for the XBR4 to do. It will simply display the already upscaled picture. The VS-2 was built to interact with HDTVs like the one you have and although it is a secondary source, it will pass the HDMI signal completely in-tact and will not degrade it at all.

9. JAMES/C on said:

I now have 2 VS-2′s for my Lifestyle 48. The first worked for two months, then my samsung LCD/HDTV could not recognize the signal from the VS-2. So, I disconnected the VS-2 and reconnected all the components without the VS-2, and all worked. I spoke to Bose Technical and they could not come up with an answer, just that the VS-2 unit must be bad. And, as is the Bose tradition, they gave me a new one at the local Bose store. Hooked up the second unit and all has been going well until yesterday, again, the HDTV is not able to recognize the signal from the VS-2. Bose technical is asking me to bring in the old for an exchange, again. My question, has anyone else had this problem? Is it a problem with the VS-2? Do you have any suggestions about this repeating problem? Thanks.

James,
    I assume that you are using HDMI and it is your cable box that you can’t get the picture from. The reason I would think this, is because certain cable providers around the country have issues with HDMI because of certain digital reproduction laws. We have heard of other people having similar problems. What I suggest is that you connect with component or some other video connection just so you can see your screen. Go to the VS-2 settings on your Bose remote and change the resolution to 1080i or 720p. The VS-2 automatically outputs a 1080p signal and this can mess up some TV’s that can’t handle that high of resolution. After you have done this, reconnect with HDMI and see if it works. If it still doesn’t work, leave the HDMI cable connected from the VS-2 output to the TV and connect the cable box output to the VS-2 input with component video. This will still give you high definition and will convert the signal to HDMI over the output so you won’t be losing any signal quality. Hope this helps.

11. Brenda on said:

I went ahead and purchased the VS-2 with the cables for my Lifestyle 48 system.
    Everything works well.
    I then went ahead and ordered the Monster® GameLink™ Component Video and Audio Cable, when I connected it, I noticed the games I have downloaded onto my Wii, like the old Mario, etc, do nto work. I get a no video when I try to play wii downloaded games.

Can you help me figure out the problem?
    They work fine with the original cable.

Brenda,
    Try playing around with the different resolution outputs available on your Wii menu. See if any of the different resolutions work. If not, you should call the Nintendo customer support line to see if they can diagnose the problem.

13. Paul O'Dea on said:

I don’t see the value to this unit if it does not use the HDMI connector for audio. If you connect your components (for me: satellite and Blu-ray DVD) directly to the plasma tv, the picture is as perfect as it can get. Then, you just use the Lifestyle for audio. Therefore, there is no need for this unit, except to upgrade the video the the Bose DVD. Am I am missing something? I was looking for something that would also upgrade the sound via an HDMI connector. Please comment.

Paul,
    I don’t think you have all the right facts about the VS-2, hopefully I can help you see why the VS-2 would be beneficial. First of all, if you plug the HDMI cable directly into the TV, the picture is not as perfect as it can get. You can set the VS-2 to upscale 720p content to 1080i, and 1080i content to 1080p over HDMI. It will also upscale 480i content to DVD quality 480p. So it can make the picture better.

The second main benefit of the VS-2 is that everything connected to it can be output over HDMI with one HDMI connection. For example: If you have an HDMI cable connected from the VS-2 output to an HDMI input on your TV, you could have composite, s-video or component on the other inputs and they will all be converted to HDMI which will make the picture digital and therefore better.

The third (and most overlooked) advantage of the VS-2 is one button simplicity. This eliminates the monotonous matching of video and audio inputs on two different devices. You only have to press the AUX, CBL/SAT, VCR or TV button to match the correct video and audio source. This makes the system much easier to operate.

Yes it is unfortunate that the VS-2 doesn’t repeat HDMI audio, but you have to understand that Bose made this product as an add-on to a pre-existing product. They did this so previous Lifestyle owners could utilize HDMI, Video Upscaling and One-Button Simplicity if they wanted to. Bose now makes the V20 and V30 Lifestyle systems that do repeat HDMI audio and gives a more customizable home theater experience to customers who would rather have that. I personally have the VS-2 connected to my Lifestyle 48 Series III and absolutely love it. It has both improved the quality of video on my HDTV, and made it much easier for me to manage my different components.

15. what is the difference between the lifestyle 48 III and lifestyle 48 IV ??? i am ready to buy 1 and need your help.

thanks!

Troy,
    The only difference between the Bose Lifestyle 48 Series III and Series IV is the inclusion of the VS-2 Video Enhancer. You will definitely want the Series IV to take advantage of HDMI, Video Upscaling and One Button Simplicity. The Bose Lifestyle Series IV was made with consideration of current and future home theater technology. If you buy the Bose Lifestyle 48 Series IV from us you will receive $200 in Reward Dollars to spend towards a future purchase on our site. So you can use the Reward Dollars to buy brackets, cables, etc. Here is a link to the Lifestyle 48 Series IV product page, if you have any questions call our toll free number (1-866-224-6171) and talk to one of our Bose experts.

17. Mark on said:

I have a Lifestyle 28/1 system connected to an HDTV. Can I use the VS-2 on the 28/1 to upscale regular DVD to HD-like quality?

Mark,
    Unfortunately the Bose VS-2 Video Enhancer does not work with the Bose Lifestyle 28 Series 1 System. Sorry.

19. Dave on said:

I’ve read the questions and your replies regarding the VS-2; however, I still have questions. If the VS-2 does not repeat HDMI audio, does it have optical inputs and if so, how many are available? The LS III only has one optical input but four (4) digital coax inputs. How good is the quality of the audio if digital coax is used instead of optical?

Thanks.

Dave,
    The VS-2 is used strictly for video, there are no audio inputs or outputs on the VS-2. You will continue to run the audio connection to the Lifestyle Media Center where you have 4 digital coax inputs and one digital optical. To answer your second question, digital coax like optical is a digital audio signal. You can still get Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound and other digital formats when you use them. You would have a hard time telling the difference between optical and coaxial. If you are interested in buying a VS-2 from us, just follow the link at the top of the page.

21. Kumar on said:

I have a Bose Lifestyle 48 series III system. If I get the VS-2 enhancer, will my system be the same as the Series IV? Will it have all the functionality of the series IV?

Kumar,
    Yes, it will have all the functionality of the Series IV. If you are interested in buying from us, follow the link at the top of the page to the VS-2 product page.

23. Bhaskar on said:

I have 28 series III bose system and I just bought VS-2 Video Enhancer. I did the exact connection and try to test by playing DVD in media center. I have HDMI output connection to TV . I was able to hear audio but no video. I tried connection second HDMI input for VCR but still no video.
    Can you please help me what I need to do to get the video output.

Thanks!
    Bhaskar

Bhaskar,
    Sometimes your video component requires you to manually switch to HDMI. Try connecting with something else (component, composite, s-video) go into the system menu and see if there is a place to set your output to HDMI. Also if you have anything else plugged into the VS-2 output, take it out. You only need to be connected with HDMI.

25. Dave on said:

Thanks for your reply (#70). My concern is that equipment I may purchase in the future such as Blu-Ray, will not have digital coax and only HDMI and/or optical to handle the audio. I don’t think the Playstation has digital coax and if i assign the optical to it, what do I do about the audio from the HD cable box? Looking back, the V-30 was probably the way to go.

Dave,
    Most Blu-Ray Disc Players and Digital Cable Boxes have Digital Coax inputs. Go ahead and assign your PS3 to the Optical and use digital coax for the rest. Digital Coax is not old technology it is just an another way of carrying a digital signal. I wouldn’t worry, you will be able to get most components with Digital Coaxial.

27. Bhaskar on said:

Thanks for the reply for #73. For media center it is connected to VS-2 through composite and S-video so it should show out put. when I try to plug composite without VS-2 it works but when i connect media center with VS-2 with all shown connections for serial data/DC power/composite/s-video i don’t get any video output on TV.
    Do I need a software upgrade CD for my media center(18 series II). where can i get that.

Bhaskar,
    I am sure you have done this already but just to be sure this is not your problem, have you run the setup disc for the VS-2? You have to do this in order for the VS-2 to function properly. If you have done this and nothing else is working, call Bose tech support at 1-800-905-2138 they will help talk you through your problem.

29. Bhaskar on said:

Regarding #78, I don’t have setup disc for VS-2.I bought it from ebay and it seems like the box was for 38 series. So now where can I get setup disc for VS-2.

Bhaskar,
    The box you received the product in was probably not the VS-2 box because there isn’t a particular VS-2 that works with each series, there is only one VS-2 that is universal for all Lifestyle Systems able to use the VS-2.The only thing I can tell you to do is call Bose product information at 1-800-999-2673.

31. Hamza on said:

Hi,

I just installed the Bose Lifestyle 38 with a VS-2 enhancer. I made all the connections and, initially, I didn’t get any image on my Samsung 46″ 1080p Full HD Screen, as the message I got on my TV says that the Media is not recognized or something like that. Anyhow, I removed the Output HDMI cable from the VS-2 plugged it in again and made sure all HDMI cables are inserted properly and it worked, however, I could not get a full screen image on my tv set. I tried adjusting the TV’s setting but with no use. When I tried adhusting the lifestyles setting, however, the screen went blank and it never came back with the same message that I got the first time…!!! Additonally, I connected the lifestyle to the TV because I had to change some audio settings via the normal cable and it worked fine. Right now, I have connected the video from my components to my TV directly, but I would certainly want to use the VS-2 instead.

Please Help..!!!

Hamza,
    There could be a number of problems occurring that do not necessarily have to do with the VS-2 itself. You should call Bose Technical Support at 1-800-905-2138, they can walk you through the install process and make your system work correctly together.

33. jonny on said:

I have a lifestyle system 48 with the vs-2 , everything connected properly. My issue is the xbox 360 elite. I connected it using its hdmi cable to the vs-2 cbl/sat input and get an ugly picture and no sound. The xbox 360 elite only has an hdmi output. Can you help me with this problem?

Jonny,
    There could be two different reasons you are getting a bad picture. You could have a faulty X-Box, faulty HDMI cable, or you may not be in High Def. On the Xbox-360 menu there is a place to change the video resolution, you are probably in 480i or 480p which are not high def. Change the resolution to 720p or 1080i, this will greatly improve your picture. More than likely this is your problem. If this is not your problem, try testing another HDMI cable and if that doesn’t work, I would call microsoft.

I know exactly what your sound problem is. The VS-2 does not repeat HDMI audio, I looked at the cables that come with the Xbox-360 Elite and one of them is a dangle cord that allows for a separate audio source when the HDMI cable is plugged in. Use the optical (best option) or analog audio connection for your audio. If you use optical (which I recommend because it will give you Dolby Digital 5.1) you need to assign the optical port on your lifestyle to the CBL/SAT that you have your X-box plugged into. To do this, go into the system menu, find optical source, and switch to CBL/SAT. You can then plug an optical cable into the media center input and it will give you sound while your HDMI cable gives you video.

If you need an optical audio cable, here is a link to our optical cables page.

35. reyes on said:

I HAVE A LIFESTYLE 48 SYSTEM. CAN I PLAY BLUE RAY DVD WITH THE VS-2, OR DO I NEED TO BUY A BLUE RAY DVD PLAYER?

Reyes,
    The Lifestyle 48′s media center does not support the Blu-ray format discs. You will need a stand alone Blu-ray player for them. The VS-2 however will help you get the best picture quality through your Bose Lifestyle system with the added HDMI connection.

37. Hearty on said:

I have the Lifestyle 35 Series IV. Does my media center support Blu-ray format discs? If not, when playing a regular or hd format dvd disc, will the VS-2 provide Blu-ray quality? Can I achieve Blu-ray quality on my system? If so, exactly how do I achieve that quality?

Hearty,
    The Lifestyle 48’s media center does not support the Blu-ray format discs. You will need a stand alone Blu-ray player for them. The VS-2 however will help you get the best picture quality through your Bose Lifestyle system with the added HDMI connection.

39. Par Sundberg on said:

Hi,

I have a rather new Lifestyle 28 IV and I have lost the color on my Samsung TV when playing the internal DVD through HDMI (It worked for the first 3 months). I got color from my component-loaded, Sattelite-box.

I tried to load the DVD picture through Component to the TV, but there is still only black and white, and I have tried to change the resolution. Thankful for any ideas.

Par Sundberg,
    It sounds like you may have a loose connection between the Media Center and the VS-2. You will want to check the connection on the back at the Media Center. First check the connections that plug into the video and S-video outputs. If that doesn’t fix it check the rest of the connections at the Media Center and then check the connections at the VS-2.

41. Graham on said:

I have a Bose Lifestyle 38, Sony Bravia W series TV and Sony DVD. I cannot get a picture using the HDMI connection from the DVD player to the TV via the VS-2. The shop I purchased the Lifestyle from has contacted Bose and says that the signal is not being transmitted from the DVD player because it is recognising the VS-2 as a switch and is not transmitting the video signal to stop pirating of DVD’s. Is this correct?

Graham,
    It sounds like you are having a handshake issue with your HDMI connection coming from your Sony DVD. Unfortunately, there is no fix for this. Your best bet would be to use the Component Video connection instead of the HDMI from the Sony DVD.

43. Diego Saavedra on said:

I have a Bose 321 series II GS system and a Bravia TV. Is there any adapter to have the HDMI output on it? Something similar to the VS2? Please let me know.

Diego – The VS-2 is unique and is specifically designed to work with other Bose products. You can always run HDMI to your TV and run a fiber optic line to your 321 for sound.

45. Franklin on said:

I have a Lifestyle 25, can I upgrade to today’s technology (like HDMI) with the Bose Lifestyle VS-2?

46. i have recently purchased a lifestyle 48 series 4 system which is great apart from i have just had sky hd installed and now every time i change channel the tv searches for picture format this did not happen with my sky + and if i connect straight to tv from hd box it does not happen,its only when i connect through the vs2 box that this occurs,any thoughts as this is driving me mad as its the only component i have connected to the vs2,many thanks.

Lee,

Could you give me a little more information of how you have the VS-2 hooked up. Is it using HDMI cables between the components and TV?

Franklin – your best bet is to upgrade your system. But you can run new components to the TV and audio to the Lifestyle.

49. I have a Bose Lifestyle 38 with a VS-2 connection. The connection of my Scientific Atlanta 8300 HDC Cable box to the VS-2 is HDMI (the audio setting on the Cablebox is set to “HDMI”). The VS-2 is connected to my Pioneer Plasma TV’s HDMI Input 4 (the HDMI Input 4 on the TV is set to “enabled”). The Cable box’s digital coax output is connected to the cab/sat coax input on the Bose Media center. Everything works well except for my PS3. The PS3′s connection to the TV’s is HDMI (via the TV’s HDMI Input 5). The TV’s HDMI Input 5 on the TV is set to “enabled”. I have video coming from the PS3 on Input 5 but no sound (audio). I tried changing the source on the Bose Media Center from “TV” to “Cab/Sat” but I am still not picking up any sound. Appreciate your assistance. Thanks.

50. I have a Lifestyle 38 and am considering the VS2 for the following setup: I recently added a Blu-ray disc player and have it connected to my TV via HDMI, and intentionally disabled the audio so there is no audio coming from the TV. I have run RCA cables to the Lifestyle 38 to the AUX input. The picture quality is great but the audio quality appears to be less than playing a DVD directly on the Bose system. Would the VS-2 correct this issue?