June 20, 2006

Many people don’t realize that adding sound in other rooms can be a very simple process. Creating a whole house audio system using your existing audio system is easier than you thought. Follow these simple steps to have multi room audio running throughout your home.

Determine if speaker wire can easily be run to other areas of your house
One essential element to adding additional speakers throughout your home will be the ability to run speaker wires to the areas you are wanting the sound. Being able to get the speaker wires from the main system to each specific area will ultimately be the determining factor in adding a whole house audio system to your home.

Now that you have determined that you can get speaker wires to each room, you need to look at your equipment to see exactly how you are going to get a whole house sound system. Depending on what type of audio receiver you have will determine what additional equipment, if any, must be added to the system to get this to work properly.

Add 1 additional room of sound using just your audio receiver (Easiest)
The first step is to check to see if your audio receiver has both speakers A and B and if they can be ran at the same time. If this is possible, then you can hook up one additional pair of speakers to the B channel and you are done. This is by far the easiest. However, you will be limited to adding only one additional room.

Add multi room audio using a speaker selector (Good)
If you determined that your receiver will not run both speakers A and B concurrently, then you will need to install a Niles SS-4 four way speaker selector box or a Niles SS-6 six way speaker box (depending on how many rooms of sound you are adding) to your existing audio receiver. The speaker selector box will be hooked-up as follows:

• The output of speakers A on the receiver will be connected to the input on the speaker selector box.
  • The speakers in the main room will be hooked up to the first output on the selector box.
  • Each additional room will be hooked up to the remaining speaker outputs on the selector box – each output can be labeled to minimize confusion.

When hooking up more than 2 pairs of speakers you will need to make sure that the protection circuit built into the speaker selector is on. The owner’s manual will outline the proper protection needed for the number of speakers you are hooking up.

Add a whole house audio system using a speaker selector with volume control (Better)
This solution is very similar to the last one, but will give you a little more control over the speakers in the other rooms. By using a Niles SSVC-4 or Niles SSVC-6, which are four or six way speaker selector boxes with built in volume control, you can regulate the volume of rooms independently from the rest of your whole house audio system. This system will hook-up exactly the same way as the system above. The volume controls for each room will be located in the main room in speaker selector box.

Add multiple rooms of sound using a speaker selector and individual volume controls in each room (Best)
The best way create a multi room audio system using your existing equipment would be to use a speaker selector box at the main unit along with a table top or in-wall volume control in every room where speakers are installed. This will give you independent control of volume levels in those rooms.

• The most popular volume control would be the Niles VCS 100R.
  • You must be able to get speaker wire into your walls where you are planning on mounting the in-wall volume control. If speaker wire can not be installed in the walls, then you can use the Niles TV-1, which is a table/counter top volume control.
  • In an outdoor speaker application, you would need to use a weather proof WVC-100E volume control to control the outdoor speaker volume.

Posted in How-To

60 comments on “How to Get Whole House Audio from Your Existing Stereo System

1. andrew quinn on said:

I have a bose wave radio that I keep on the first floor. I installed two speakers in the ceiling upstairs and connected them to the bose through a wall mounted volume control. I get sound, but just barely. The sound downstairs is great; same a susual. In the speakers upstairs its very faint. Is there just not enough power in this bookshelf system to power the additional speakers?

Andrew,
    The reason for the low speaker sound is your speakers do not have enough power because they are not connected to an amplifier. This is a tough one because it really depends on what model year Wave Radio you have. If your radio is a 2004 or newer, there is only one way to go about it. First, connect an 1/8 inch stereo to RCA cable from the headphone jack in your Wave Radio to an additional amplifier. From the amplifier you will need to run speaker wire to a volume control device that can either be mounted on a wall or you can buy a table top version. Connect your speakers to the volume control device and you will have good quality sound.

This can be a lot to take in (assuming this is your first time doing a custom installation) but it is the only method that will allow for this kind of setup. Please call us to ask questions or discuss other options with our certified installers 1-866-224-6171.

3. Bernice on said:

Hello

I have purchased a Philips Home Theater system to hook-up to our existing system. The house is already wired; however, the speaker wires that came with the Philips system are pre-attached to the Philips speakers (they do not have connectors). Can I simply attach the pre-attached wires to my pre-installed wires?

Bernice,
    You can cut your home theater wires that came with your Philips system and splice them into your pre-wire with a set of speaker wire connectors. You cant just attach them unfortunately.

5. I have a sony pro logic stereo system and want to purchase a home theater system and have the stereo system be able to play through the speakers. Is that possible and what do I need to know before I buy the home system

Marty,
    I need to know more about your system so I can help you better. What exactly does your stereo system consist of (speakers, receiver, connections)? It would also help me out to know what model your Sony is. Give me those details in another response and then I can tell you what you can and cannot do with your current system.

7. I have:
    1)Main House – 3 zones of speakers:
    2)Garage/Casita – 4 zones of speakers
    3)Master bed/bath – 2 zones

All speakers in Main house and Master are Bose and some are quite old (201′s are 30 yrs).
    Garage speakers are not purchased/installed yet.
    Each area has an amplifier.
    Each amplifier has an A/B selector.
    Main house amp is a dual source.

What would you recommend for a configuration if I want to:
    A) Run all or selected speaker zones from the Main house amp
    B) Play the main house amp to one or more detatched garage zones,
    C) Play the main house amp to the one or both of the speakers in the Master,

Essentially, I’d like to interconnect three different systems while allowing each amp to run independently, one amp as the main for all/selected speakers.

I’m specifically interested in how many wires and what type of wires to run between the main house, garage and Master and recommendations on the switching equipment I need to do all the above scenarios plus any you come up with.

Thank you for your time!

Erv,
    This setup is complex but can be done. I could tell you how to do it through this post but I think it would be hard for you to understand without hearing it from someone. Call our toll free number 1-866-224-6171 and talk to one of our installation experts. They are all fully trained and will be able to help you with your situation.

9. I have an older model intercom system with speakers in 12 areas. I’d like to use the wiring only to put a higher quality whole house sound system, replacing all speakers and main reciever. Do you know of a quality system that doesn’t require a wiring upgrade? Thank you.

Ken,
    Unfortunately the setup that you want to do will not work. You are going to need to look into a 70 volt system.

11. Hamish Park on said:

I have a Sony theatre-surround receiver which I use for my home theatre system with a Bose Lifestyle surround speaker system. I have additional speakers that I have added on in the room above, using the Speaker B connections, through which I want to play music in both areas when entertaining. However, when the downstairs system is playing at a regular volume, the upstairs speakers are not the same volume and rather soft, in fact. I have been looking with interest at the speaker selectors with volume control that you stock, but need to know a couple of things before I make the purchase:
    1. If I connect this product to the Speaker B connections on the receiver, will I be able to play the satellite speakers louder (i.e. does this product have an amplification component)?
    2. If I connect both sets of speakers to the product, will I lose the different Equalizer options available on the current Sony receiver (e.g. “Normal Surround”, “Cinema A”, “Jazz Club”, etc.)?
    3. Should I be considering a different option altogether to resolve this issue?
    Thanks for your kind attention.

Hamish,
    I believe I have a solution to your problem. The problem with your secondary speakers is not that they need a speaker selector, but that your receiver does not supply enough power to them. Unfortunately Sony receivers along with a few other brands do a poor job of powering secondary zones. I suggest getting a Yamaha RX-V663 or a Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver because either one has multi-zone capability and will give you more than enough power to get the full potential out of the speakers in your second room. We just had another customer with the same problem as you, getting a new receiver fixed their problem.

The RX-V663 is the cheaper option at $499.95 (slightly higher than a speaker selector) and has a volume control on the face of the receiver to control your secondary speakers volume. The RX-V1800 is more expensive at $1199.95 but has more features and comes with a second zone remote so you can control your secondary speakers volume from the secondary room instead of at the receiver.

Here are the links to the Yamaha RX-V663 Receiver and the Yamaha RX-V1800 Receiver if you are interested in buying.

13. Vincent on said:

I have an Onkyo TX-SR705 AV Receiver/Amplifier and would like to power 6 sets of speakers in a covered patio and garage.
    The question is can I use this receivers power to provide enough stereo sound. I want volume control near each set of
    speakers in the 6 zones. The patio dimensions are 50’ by 8’ on the side and 50’ by 14’ along the back yard next to a
    swimming pool. The Onkyo TX-SR705 has some nice features like HDMI for video I would like in the future to watch
    television on the patio. XM/Sirius ready built into the unit will be awesome to have as well.
    What would you suggest?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Vincent Williams
    kingtorg@cox.net

Vincent,
    This Onkyo receiver could be used, but I don’t believe that it will deliver enough power for all the speakers that you need to run for your covered patio and garage. I would use it for your Home Theater and then run out of the 2nd Zone Audio Preouts to an external Amp with a speaker selector box that will handle all of your speakers.

15. We have a Bose Lifestyle V20 system and just moved into a new home. The new home has speakers wired into two rooms, and we’d like to be able to run sound from the Bose into both sets of speakers either set A, set B or both at the same time. We use the Bose system as our ‘receiver’ and run all of our components through it (DVD, Game system, Aux input for MP3). How do we do it? What type of switch do we need to install?

16. We just moved into a newer house (2-3 yrs old) which has ceiling speakers professionally installed in each room. There is a set of speaker jacks in one bedroom closet and each room speaker has its own volume/off switch. There are speakers in the living, den, kitchen, and 4 bedrooms. I would like to buy and install a receiver that can also run iPod. What type/size of receiver should I look for and will I need an amplifier to drive all the speakers?

I appreciate any response and recommendation.

Thanks,
    Dave

17. Ben Clarke on said:

I have a Niles SPS-1 for a partial house system (Yep, almost 20 yrs old). For years all was well until 2-3 years ago when the old receiver died (I presumed that was the problem) and I never bothered to reactivate. There are 8 speakers: 2-each in 4 rooms. Now, I just bought an Onkyo STR-DH100 Receiver and tried to resuscitate the system…but to no avail. I wonder if the problem is the SPS-1. What do the 4 buttons on the SPS-1 do, I can’t remember.

18. I would like to set up an audio system (CD, MP3 and radio) with 3 sets of speakers, one set which is outside on a patio. I already have speakers and they are wired to a central location. Can you recommend the components for this application. I also have a space issue as it needs to fit into a small cabinet.

Thanks

19. Hey I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 146 hooked up to 3 pair of 100watt 8 ohm speakers with a 4 zone speaker selector switch with amp power protect. I have 2 volume controls on 2 pair of the speakers. A outdoor volume control and a regular volume control with the ohm load set to 1x. Everything works fine but when i play my music long enough the speakers start making a cracking noise. Im not sure what the problem can be.

Chris:

There’s no easy answer here. With so many components, the weakest link could be any of the components or a combination thereof. Some things to check/consider:

1. What is the music’s source? Bad files, scratched discs or faulty connections — even worn out DACs — could be causing the problem.

2. Have you check each speaker by itself? Switch the speakers to see if the noise is from the same speaker or coming from a particular channel. If the noise stays with the same speaker despite being on a different channel, then it’s likely a speaker issue. If the noise doesn’t follow the speaker, then it’s somewhere in the interconnects or at the source.

3. Are the components staying cool? Are connections secure? Any loose wires or damaged cables?

4. Does the sound intensify or go away if any of the components, like volume controls, are adjusted or removed from the system? Are there other non-system components that could be messing up your sound, like plasma TVs, fluorescent lights or heavy vibrations.

Without being there to examine the setup and run some trial-and-error diagnostics I can’t say for sure. But try some of the simple stuff above and see if you can locate the problem. It could be as simple as switching from a digital connection to analog, or vice versa, or replacing worn cables or faulty controls.

21. I have a Yamaha RX-V563 receiver that has Zone 2 capability. My house is pre-wired with speakers and volume control knobs in 5 other rooms, so I hooked up the main surround sound speakers to the main speaker inputs and bought a speaker selector to hook up the other rooms to Zone 2. The output from the receiver from zone 2 is a standard red/white audio cable. However, the speaker selector has a four-wire L+ L- R+ R- connector for the amplifier input. How do I make the connection from one to the other? Do I need to purchase a special cable for that? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Ellen:

If you visit our product page for the RX-V563 (http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/products/yamaha/rx-v563.html) you can view and/or download the owners manual — unless you still have your original. On p. 79 it explains how to properly set up a zone 2 system.

As specified in the manual, you’ll need a second amplifier, such as the Niles Si-245 or Si-275 (links here: http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/products/niles/si-245.html or http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/products/niles/si-275.html). This will be connected to the speaker selectors and volume controls.

If you don’t add a second amp it’s likely that you’ll damage the RX-V563 receiver.

23. I have the Onkyo HT-S6100 HTIB, which is 7.1 system in a box. I have Bose 151 outdoor speakers setup on my porch. I’d like to add speakers throughout the house with independent volume controls in-wall. Is it possible to run the Niles 4-speaker selector off the B channel, and run each one to a Niles Volume control in the room with the speakers? For some reason, I thought I read in the manual that you can’t run a speaker selector off of the B channel. Sounds strange to me as the Bose speakers on the B channel are more than loud enough without a separate Amp.

The Onkyo HT-S6100 is not a true multi-zone receiver and lacks the power to drive whole-house audio. It’s almost always recommended to use an amplifier for additional speakers. Why? For one the sound will be much cleaner and more powerful. Amps also mean you’re main receiver will last much longer since it won’t be over-stressed. Also, amps making wiring complex systems much easier since they’re designed for lots of connections, whereas a receiver like yours is primarily for a single home theater setup. We stock several Niles amps (http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/search.php?qs=niles+amp)that would be ideal for your situation. Feel free to call and talk with our multi-zone Niles specialist, Frank, for ideas and clarification.

25. I considering the Onkyo TR-NX807 receiver to run 5.1 surround in my home theater and use the 2nd zone on the receiver to power 6 pairs of speakers throughout my house using the Niles SS-6 selector. Will the TR-NX807 be up to the job?

26. Richard on said:

I have a house with 6 pairs of speakers pre-installed to Niles SPW-6 wall-mounted speaker selector. Recently I bought a stereo receiver HK3490. My question is: the SPW-6 only has connections for one speaker pair (two speakers), but on my HK3490, there are two pairs (four speakers) for output. How do I connect HK3490 to SPW-6?

Brian:

I couldn’t find information for a Onkyo TR-NX807. There is a TR-NR807, is that what you are considering? The SS-6 has a “protected” mode that engages special circuitry to help prevent damage to receivers when running so many speakers. Most receiver 2nd zone are designed to power 2 speakers (1 pair), so powering 6 pairs (12 speakers) may be a stretch.

One of my biggest concerns is that you will get uneven performance if all speakers are run at the same time, such as differences in volume and higher distortion. And without volume controls you will be stuck with one volume control — on the receiver. Also, as more speakers are added to extra zones the choices and performance of the main zone drops because the amp and circuitry has to distribute power and processing. So without a dedicated amp for your whole-house/multi-room setup, your receiver is likely to experience increased stress and reduced overall performance.

If you have more questions please call and talk to our Niles guy, Frank. He’s a whiz at doing complex setups. We both recommend using amps and volume controls to maximize system performance and user control.

Richard:

Your receiver is meant to have two distinct zones, with one speaker set in one room and the second speaker set for another. You can link them so both sets would play the same audio, too. The SPW-6 is a selector, meaning that you run one set of speaker wire from the receiver to SPW-6 and the speakers are run into the SPW-6. This allows you to select which speakers are playing the receiver-sourced audio.

Just like Brian’s situation, receivers are meant for limited numbers of speakers. As their load demand increases (from the numerous speakers) the volume level drops and distortion goes up. Also, volume control is limited to the receiver. So like the many others who ask, we recommend adding additional amps and volume controls to maximize system performance and user control.

Creating a multi-room/whole-house audio solution from a stereo or home theater receiver is doing something beyond the normal capability. There are special amps and receivers designed just for it, but even they perform best with dedicated volume controls and down-line amps.

29. I have 2 rooms that I’d like to run the same audio and video to, including 5.1 surround. Is there an easier way to do this than having 2 receivers running at the same time?

30. I have a Denon AVR-890 receiver controlling my main room surround system. I have a Pioneer VSX-D508 hooked up to zone 2 to power 8 speakers. All speakers have individual volume controls. I am having problems getting enough volume from these 8 speakers. Pioneer receiver overloads at about 30-35 decibels. The eight speakers are wired in such a way that there are 4 speakers to each zone. Will it help me to split into 4 zones? Any other ideas to make it better?

31. Can I run multiple speakers to 2 or 3 rooms from a Bose 321 and still get the effects of the Acoustimass module?

The 3-2-1 systems cannot do multiple zone outputs. They do have a Boselink but it’s only for receiving signals, such as from a Lifestyle system. The 3-2-1 system is only a single-source output, meaning it plays through the connected speaker and only those — no additional zones or rooms.

33. I just moved into a new house which already had a Russound SS-6 speaker selector. All the wires have been run up to the family room. There were wires (+ and -) coming up through the book shelf as well. I attached Polk 30 book shelf speakers to these. I purchased a Denon AVR-590 receiver and attached the wires from the Russound SS-6. I also connected my LG HDTV, cable and DVD via HDMI cables. The problem is I have no sound. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Kerry:

You’re not getting sound because the Denon AVR-590 receiver is not setup for multi-zone audio. It is a home theater receiver with speaker outputs for 7.1 surround sound. Also, a speaker selector is typically run in tandem with a volume selector. The main piece of equipment you’re missing is an amplifier to power the other speakers. But I’m almost certain it wouldn’t make a difference since there is no mode for multi-zone output and no dedicated speaker outs and internal amp.

The RCA outs for audio supply signal only and will not drive your bookshelf speakers. If you have the speakers in your family room connected directly to the speaker outs then you should have no problem other than selecting the right audio source and an associated audio mix, such as 2-channel stereo, simulated surround, etc. (assuming your family room setup is not surround).

If you want to do multi-room/whole-house audio it’s best to use 2-channel amps connected to speakers selectors/volume controls. This way each zone has its own power and can be controlled via remote or at the amp itself. Basic home theater receivers just aren’t designed to be the main hub for multi-zone and whole-house audio setups.

35. I currently have a Yamaha RX-V659 with a speaker selector box connecting speakers from 3 other rooms (to zone 2). I would also like to add a few additional rooms. I might be able to get a multi-zone amp, but this is a 6 ohm amp. Is this amp compatible with my speakers, which are all 8 ohms. Also, do I need to set my receiver to 6ohms when I hook up this amp?

Jeff:

After talking with one of my custom install guys we recommend adding a Niles SI-1230 amp to your zone 2 pre-outs. We would also recommend installing Niles VCS 100R volume controls in each room so you can adjust the sound without having to always go back to the source.

As I do with almost all questions concerning custom installations, I suggest you call and talk with one of our specialists. They can be reached at 1-866-224-6171. Our main CI guy is Frank, but Nathan and Tim can also help you and get the ball rolling. If nothing else, they can help answer questions and get your system filled out and working properly.

37. I’ve gathered that an amp is needed for zone two if you have a bunch of speakers. I have six speakers I’d like to hook up to zone two but I only want to run two of the six at one time. Will I need an amp for that? I am looking at the Yamaha RX-497 for my receiver.

As noted in the owners manual, if you want to run zone 2 you will need an amplifier. And if you’re going to run multiple speakers then you will need a speaker selector. The main zone is powered and is split into “A” and “B” speakers, but is not designed to be a multizone solution.

The zone 2 output is a simple RCA L/R, meaning you will need an amp to power the connected speakers down-line. Note that the RX-497 and connected zones can be controlled using IR (infrared) control systems. This is discussed in the owners manual, which is downloadable from the product’s page on this site.

You can also call and talk with one of our custom install guys at 1-866-224-6171.

39. I am in the process of building a house and gearing up for a home audio system. I currently have two receivers: one is for my A/V surround sound system (Pioneer VSX10 10 AHK) and the other I plan on using for my home audio system (Yamaha HTR-5850).

I would like to power 5 pairs (10 speakers) of 8-inch, 8ohm ceiling speakers and 4 single ceiling stereo speakers for the smaller spaces in the house (also 8 ohms).

My question is: could I use both the A and B channels on the Yamaha receiver (by selecting them both) to power two separate 6-zone speaker selectors? And from the selector to volume controls (impedance matching or not?) would I have enough power to drive all those speakers with receivers?

Do I need impedance matching volume controls if I use a speaker selector? Specific suggestions would be appreciated as to the type of selector, volume controls etc.

Thanks,
    Rich

Rich:

You have a lot of speakers and rooms but not enough power. Our guys recommend running amps and volume controls to each zone. Or you can run a single large amp with a distribution component and volume controls. Trying to push everything from one source is a sure-fire way to kill your receivers. Call in and talk to one of our guys — they can help you get things figured out and setup properly.

41. Nathan Tweedy on said:

Thank you for all the info.

You mentioned the Niles TV-1 at the end of your article, but I couldn’t find that sold on your website (or anywhere else).

I’m just looking to add a second zone (2 speakers) with separate volume control to a Technics AX530 receiver currently using 2 speakers. I’d possibly like to add a subwoofer to the current setup as well.

I’d appreciate any suggestions you may have.
    -Nate

42. Byron on said:

I have a Philips HTS3555 Home Theater system that I love. I would like to add a pair of speakers to go to my outdoor deck. How can I connect the outdoor speakers to the system so that I can listen outside without having to have the speakers on inside?

Byron:

This article is intended for stereos and home theater systems specifically designed for multi-zone output. I did some quick research on your unit and appears that it does not support multi-zone output. Now, it may be possible to run L/R audio cables from the stereo RCA out jacks to an amplifier and have sound that way, but I can’t be sure.

Since we don’t sell this unit and since I am unfamiliar with it, I can’t say for sure one way or the other. Typically if there’s not a section in your users/owners manual then it’s just a one-zone system. I would suggest contacting Philips directly.

Nathan:

This article was written way back in 2006, so some of the products have been discontinued or replaced.

Here are some links to the pages on our sites that have the products you need:

Volume Controls: http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/c/volumecontrol
    Speakers: http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/c/speakers
    Subwoofers: http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/c/sub

You can also call and talk with one of our custom installation experts. They can create a system that will work with your existing setup or help build a new one that’s even better! I could suggest numerous packages but without knowing your room configurations and desired uses, outputs, etc. it’s hard to say exactly. So call in and work with Frank or Tim to get squared away.

45. My house is already pre wired. I purchased Pyle Dryver Pro outdoor speakers. I also purchased a volume control. I installed my speakers and subsequently connected the two sets of wires coming in various combinations to the volume control knob. However, even after trying several combinations output/input, none produced sound from the speakers. Not sure what went wrong. The surround sound system in the hall works fine, but the outdoor speakers do not produce sound. At the back of these speakers there is a knob with 3 settings, and I had them at “5″. Not sure if it will make a difference if I have them set at either “1.5″ or “4″, the other 2 options. Please help me in this regards.

Thanks,
    Matt

Matt:

I can’t help you unless I have information about the receiver/amp, what numerical settings are on the speakers (is there any wording by the numbers?), what type of wiring is installed and the ohm settings on the various components.

A few things to check:

1. Is there a way to check the pre-installed wiring to make sure it’s still intact and functioning? Also, the gauge of wiring can make a difference.

2. Are you running an amp to drive the speakers or are they simply connected to RCA outs on the back of your receiver?

3. I’m not familiar with your brand of speakers, so some specs would help — size, wattage, etc.

As with most comments and questions I recommend calling in and talking to one of our specialists. Not only can they help you sort out problems, but they have access to a huge inventory of parts and components if you need something to complete your system. Our guys are knowledgeable and friendly (and never pushy) so call them at 1-866-224-6171.

47. Mike on said:

Hi.. I just bought a Denon AVR-590 receiver and I know that it is not setup for multi-zone audio. However, is there anyway to achieve whole-house audio with this receiver, such as adding another amplifier? I have surround sound in the living room and speakers throughout the house with individual volume controls. I previously had a Sony non-HDMI receiver with a/b speakers and was able to use a speaker selector box with that receiver to achieve surround sound and whole-house audio. I connected the speaker selector box with the “B” speakers on the Sony, but I notice that the Denon does not have the “B” speakers. If I can’t achieve this, I guess I can return the product, if possible, and buy a multi-zone receiver. Thanks.

Mike:

As you stated, the Denon AVR-590 is not setup for multi-zone audio and especially not whole-house audio. I would say you have a couple options: (1) purchase a multi-zone receiver and add amps as needed, or (2) keep your Denon for your home theater and do a separate setup for the other audio.

If you want a single point of control option 1 will be a better choice, but if you want more flexibility and more power then option 2 will likely be the winner. While I could write a bunch on here and provide dozens of links to product pages, it will be much easier to just call in and talk to one of my custom install guys. They do this sort of thing everyday and have put together some awesome packages at great prices!

Call 1-866-224-6171. They can get all the details and create multiple bids so you don’t have to spend hours online and running around town. We can even have somebody come out and set it up for you.

49. Dion on said:

Here is the background.

Years ago I purchased the Niles SI 1230 6 channel (12 speaker Amp). In my old house things were simple. I also have a Yamaha AM / FM tuner. I have two Denon DVD/CD players.
    I had all the speakers hooked up with only one source and independent volume controls in each room.

Now, a different house and different set up. I need help.
    Here are the basics;

Dining/Living (same space)
    Dining Room two 6” ceiling speakers to a wall volume control.
    Living Room two 6” ceiling speakers to a wall volume control.
    Both the living and dining room will never have two different sources and always will play the same source at the same time with volume controlled locally.

Exterior Deck
    Two 6” wall exterior speakers for the Hot Tub area exterior wall volume control.
    Two 6” wall exterior speakers for the Deck area exterior wall volume control.
    Both the Hot Tub and Deck area will never have two different sources and always will play the same source at the same time.

Kitchen/Family (same space)
    Family Room seven 8” ceiling speakers, and two 12” powered subs connected to a Denon AVR 486 hooked up running 7.1 surround.
    Kitchen, two 6” ceiling speakers to a wall volume control.
    Kitchen and family room would never have two different sources playing at the same time.

Hall @ equipment location, two 6” ceiling speakers with wall volume control.

Here is what I want, best case…
    Exterior Deck, 4 speakers on one zone, mostly radio, MP3-Ipod, or CD as the source.
    Dining / Living, 4 speakers on one zone, mostly radio, MP3-Ipod, or CD as the source, but different source than the Exterior Speakers.
    Family Room 7.1 surround with TV
    Kitchen same source as the Dining/living or same source as 7.1 surround.
    Then of course all speakers on the same source at the same time.
    Any help would be great…..
    I have access to all wires, speakers, and volume controls.

Thank you ! ! !

Dion:

To get you the most help please call and talk with one of our custom install specialists. They will be able to design a system that performs great and matches you budget. Plus, they can figure out all sorts of details much faster than a back-and-forth online forum.

I will forward them your information. But you can also can 1-866-224-6171.

Thanks!